- About FMES (www.ijme.in)
The Forum for Medical Ethics Society was set up in 1989 by a group of activists and health professionals concerned about the gross erosion of medical ethics and patients’ rights; the dysfunctional medical councils; inequities in access to healthcare and the rapid decline in the public health system. Initially, the members assisted aggrieved patients in public interest litigation against medical malpractice and then contested elections to the Maharashtra Medical Council (MMC) in 1992. It was formally registered in 1995. These experiences made it clear that reforming the system was a long-term task involving activism for the education and sensitization of health professionals and society. The group also resolved to work for the development of bioethics as a discipline in the medical and humanities curricula.
Indian Journal of Medical Ethics
An essential step in this direction, in the late 1990’s, was the setting up of a peer-reviewed bioethics journal – the Indian Journal of Medical Ethics – encouraging publication of research in the neglected areas of healthcare ethics and human rights. It is the only journal of its kind in India, and has been published without break since 1993. The IJME is a space where advocacy and academics converge to lend voice to the marginalised, to improve the quality of healthcare in India and to make healthcare services and research more ethical, equitable and transparent.
National Bioethics Conferences
Since 2005, FMES has also established a platform for reflection, debate and coming together of people interested in the improvement of the healthcare system through the National Bioethics Conferences held every two years. So far six such conferences (in 2005, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2017) have been organised, each attracting between 300 to 700 participants.
FMES Bioethics Centre
FMES has been involved in range of other activities focused on bioethics. These include training in bioethics, advocacy on health matters, research with focus on ethics, and public engagement centre-staging ethics related to contemporary issues in health and allied themes. We are now poised to develop a full-fledged Bioethics Centre at FMES, enabled and seeded by Tata Trusts, dedicated to programmatic work in bioethics and allied thematic areas.
Position : EDITORIAL COORDINATOR/WEBSITE MANAGER, Indian Journal of Medical Ethics
- Unit Job Summary
- Job Title: Editorial Coordinator/Website Manager, Indian Journal of Medical Ethics
- Qualification and Experience:
- A masters’ degree (or higher) with a minimum of 50% marks
- Excellent command over English in order to manage journal submissions, participate in initial review, and address copy editing requirements as and when they may arise,
- Job description and work responsibilities
- Coordinating between authors, editors, reviewers and editorial office members;
- Conducting initial review of submitted manuscripts, and taking them through the peer review process on Open Journal Systems (OJS);
- Coordinating with the copyeditor, page maker and printer and the office admin in the production and dissemination of the journal;
- Ensuring that all journal publications are properly indexed across various platforms
- Liaising with the website management team and supervising the journal website and website updates;
- Conducting internal audits of the website performance and planning for possible improvements in technical, design and website experience aspects of the website
- Working with the website team in planning and managing the journal’s social media profile
- Capacity building of core editorial team in understanding and managing the online portal
- Database management – IJME subscription database, FMES membership database and other databases as required
- Draft correspondence for FMES and IJME
- Assisting the Head of the institute and IJME editorial team and the program staff
- Assisting members of the FMES Managing Committee to finalise grant proposals, annual reports and narrative reports related to FMES activities and IJME
- Contributing to coordination for public events hosted by the organisation
- Proven work experience in writing, editing and managing communications between multiple publication roles, in English language.
- Adequate understanding of academic and non-academic forms of publications in print and online portals.
- Adequate knowledge of, or willingness to learn, online journal management systems (OJS) and web publishing
- Well versed with MS-Office and overall computer, internet and social media related competencies.
- Knowledge/experience in journal administration
- Proven work experience in managing correspondence between multiple roles, in English language.
- Position type: Full-time, Contract
- Remuneration: Commensurate with experience and overall candidature [between Rs 30K per month to Rs 45K per month]
- Location: Mumbai
- Last date for application
- Joining date: Immediate/March, 2019
- To Apply: Please send an email with a cover letter and CV to [email protected] with the subject line “FMES-IJME: Editorial Coordinator/Website Manager”
The Editorial Coordinator/Website Manager will work closely with the Editorial team of Indian Journal of Medical Ethics and with the head of the institute in the completion of all tasks associated with the production and dissemination of the print and online versions of the journal. The content of the website is to be managed and edited and the coordinator will be expected to work closely with the web team of FMES in planning, designing and overseeing the upgrade to the journal website and appearance. The EC/WM will be expected to bring together expertise in language, communication and administrative skills in ensuring the everyday running of the journal – online and offline.
The IJME is a multi-disciplinary journal, and candidates across disciplines are encouraged to apply. Applicants with experience in journalism, especially with experience in web-based portals will be preferred. In addition, the candidate should have:
Familiarity with healthcare issues and an interest in bioethics, an understanding of web-based technology and experience managing web-based portals will be an added advantage.
The Editorial Coordinator/Website manager will be responsible for:
Applications will be received and screened for decision making on a rolling basis.